9 Dec 2008
Transition, mentioned in dispatches…
I often liken Transition to a mychorrhizal fungi that innoculates the ‘soil’, running all over the place, and leaves one very surprised at where it pops up as mushrooms. I thought you might find it useful to just have a short round up of some of the latest ‘fruitings’. We start with something I mentioned last week, Ed Milliband’s talk at the Environment Agency conference, which is now online, before moving onto a smorgasbord of Transition stuff…
There is a mention in passing at the end of George Monbiot’s column today which is an excellent swipe at nonsensical climate change deniers. Then there’s;
- Leicestershire County Council’s passing of a resolution, a la Somerset, supporting Transition Initiatives Mention of Transition Town Torbay in their local paper
- In Pete Burden’s excellent Sustainable Business blog
- Elizabeth Logan getting excited about Transition in the US
- Transition Town West Kirby getting funding to plant fruit and nut trees
- Transition Exmouth in their local paper
- a somewhat critical review of the Transition Handbook
- Patty Baker in Sustainable Dunwoody getting excited about Transition
- A short radio piece from Vermont
- an article from Hawick News in Scotland
- Totnes poet Matt Harvey visits Stroud to look at the Great Reskilling
- Transition Peterborough (the one in the US) toying with launching their own currency
- a report on one of Naresh Giangrande’s talks in the US as part of their Transition Tour
- an article in the financial press about the Lewes Pound
- an article about Transition Town Totnes, which describes it as ‘ultra green group’….
- Transition Wingecarribbee, the 112th formal Transition Initiative
- news of an Edible Garden Crawl in New Zealand
- a great piece from Farmers Weekly about a farmer joining his local Transition iniative
- another snapshot of Mr Giangrande’s Stateside gaddings
- Alexis Rowell, the ‘Eco Councillor’ (and a thoroughly nice bloke) writing about Transition
- Pershore Town Council offer to support Transition goings-on in their area
- Graham Strouts gives a talk to Transition Tramore in Ireland about forest gardens
- a snapshot by Carl Etnier of Transition in Vermont
- the latest from Transition West Kirby and…
- a taste of what they are up to in Farnham.
That’s it for now, plenty to keep you busy! Happy reading….
9 Dec 3:35pm
And add the excellent Seize The Day’s new song – Peak Oil as well 🙂
(I have no financial involvement. I just love ’em!)
9 Dec 5:23pm
I’d like to add:
We’ve completed insulating our loft at home, and I lost a few lbs in the process.
9 Dec 5:55pm
I also mentioned the Transition Movement and the Handbook in my presentation to several groups here in NE Pennsylvania.
Here’s is the local press coverage. Reporter did not get all the facts right but it will help raise awareness none-the-less. I am giving this presentation to several classes at the local University in 2009 as well as to local government committees.
9 Dec 6:10pm
so Rob, how does it feel to be the boss of Transition Town Totness??
9 Dec 10:20pm
Hurrah, it’s looking promisingly viral 🙂 (& in virtual life too)
12 Dec 12:32pm
Just noticed this, and that the Farnham link (last item) is missing.
Click my name, or http://www.transitionfarnham.wordpress.com