5 Sep 2007
Transition Training is Here!
With the exponential growth in Transition Initiatives around the country, the need has rapidly arisen for training in the basics of the approach for new communities coming on board. We are delighted to announce the beginning of **Transition Training**, an initiative that will deliver high quality practical and inspiring training, both in Totnes and elsewhere. The first one takes place in Totnes in a couple of weeks, and more will follow. The details are as follows;
**DATES AND BOOKING**
The dates for the first Transition Training courses are:
Totnes – September 21st / 22nd, and October 19th / 20th: contact Ben Brangwyn email@example.com for more info – the courses are filling up quickly already.
Bristol – November 2nd /3rd: contact Sarah Pugh on Sarah@transitioncitybristol.org for more info.
The course is designed to give a detailed introduction to the most important skills necessary to successfully set up, develop, and run a Transition project in your locality. It is designed for people who are already in a group working to achieve this, or are thinking of creating such a group.
At the end of the course participants will:
* Have a clear understanding of the context for transition towns, the current global situation and the transformational possibilities that arise from climate change and peak oil and gas
* Know what the TT model is, including an in depth look at the key 12 Steps of Transition, from inspiration, setting up the initiating group, all the way to having active and effective working groups
* Have experienced a joint visioning process
* Understand how to organise effective meetings such as public talks, open space days and small theme working groups
* Understand the purpose and principles of an Energy Descent Plan
* Have the outline of an effective and inspiring talk on Transition Towns
* Have formed useful contacts with other Transition initiatives, and met some of those involved in the Totnes project and Transition Network
* Have a plan of action for themselves and their locality
This training will follow the transition model in paying attention to both the outer work and the inner work necessary for a successful transition process. This will be a participatory process, with delegates invited to share their own experience and learn from the many different transition initiatives represented at each course.
There’s room for only 16 at this stage for the courses in Totnes. Bristol numbers may extend to around 20. We recommend that two individuals from each community attends – that way the knowledge is shared and there isn’t just one person with “the knowledge”. If numbers are tight and we have more than 2 applying from a single community, we’ll probably ask the local steering groups to decide which two should attend.
Totnes: The cost of the Totnes training is £95 per person, with £40 due on booking and the balance on arrival. This includes refreshments and all training materials. In Totnes you will be given £T5 (five Totnes pounds) to buy lunch on the two days.
Bristol: £65 per person (contact Sarah for further details).
Please let the organisers know if you need help with finding accommodation, or cannot afford the course fee.
**Naresh**: Focaliser of the Energy Group and one of the founders of the Transition Town Totnes project, Naresh has been involved in designing, running and evolving many of the events and groups that have been at the heart of the enormously successful TTT initiative. He has lived and worked in an eco community and was Managing Director of his own company.
**Sophy**: Sophy jointly focalises the “Heart and Soul /psychology of change” group as well as coordinating the central office and systems. A trainer for over 20 years she has worked as an engineer, information systems consultant and psychotherapist and has considerable experience of voluntary sector and community projects.